Wednesday, June 16, 2010

I'd like s'more please...


This weekend I attempted something outrageous, something daring, something I never thought I would do.

Have you conjured up images of skydiving feats or me devouring Anthony Bourdain style animal delicacies? Well, it wasn't quite as dramatic as that, but I did something that should warrant the same level of awe in my books. I went camping...


I never understood the excitement surrounding this primitive notion of "fun." Why willingly subject yourself to a place where there are no toilets (or public ones which are worse than the alternative), creepy crawlies, and no beds, when you could be exploring nature in all its glory from the comfortable bounds of a bed and breakfast?

My husband and some of his friends wanted to go so I put my apprehension aside and decided to give it a shot. The trip began splendidly when he got a text from someone already at the camp site saying they had just encountered a 'man-eating' rattlesnake. I demanded we turn back but he convinced me that it was just a joke and we continued on our way. Upon arrival, I was greeted with an iphone image of the supposedly imaginary rattlesnake.

It was evening soon and a burning bonfire was built. We all gathered around as it became chillier and began grilling burgers, baked potatotes, and veggie skewers. I felt surprisingly ravenous outdoors and before I knew it I was making my way through much of the food, talking and laughing, toasting my hands on the fire, and gasp, I have to admit, really enjoying myself.


We polished off our meal with a traditional camping dessert that I loveddddd! S'mores! We put the marshmallows on the ends of some skewers, roasted them until they were deliciously soft and gooey, sandwiched them between two graham crackers coated with chocolate chips, and then bit into one of the best "sandwiches" I've ever eaten. It was a messy marshmallowy chocolatey crunchy piece of gooey heaven.


Something this good should not be restricted to outdoor barbecues and camping trips. Keep a box of graham crackers, marshmallows, and some chocolate chips at home and whip it up as a delicious snack when you're having a movie night.

S'mores

Marshmallows
Chocolate Chips
Graham Crackers

If outdoors roast the marshmallow over a flame until it becomes charred on the outside. If indoors, put the marshmallow and chocolate chips on a cracker and microwave until the chocolate chips have melted and the marshmallows are gooey. Remove and top with the other cracker.

2 comments:

  1. I had my fill of camping years ago. Now all I want is room service and air-conditioning.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Haha. I know, I'll never be one of those hardcore regular campers (and I'd take a hotel over a tent any day!) but I had a great time on this trip so maybe once in a while :)

    ReplyDelete