Friday, July 16, 2010

Summer Mint Basil Smoothie



Summer has hit in full force!!!! Yes, I meant to put those four exclamation marks. It might seem a bit odd that I would be so excited about the weather, in a city that boasts great weather year round, which it does for the most part, with the tiny exception of the month of June. One day in early June, the sun suddenly got lazy and decided to take an extended vacation, and to my dismay, disappeared for the entire month. I began complaining to people about the clouds that just wouldn’t go away. They nodded sympathetically and gently informed me about a phenomenon called ‘June gloom.’ Funny, how guide books conveniently omit such phenomenons resulting in European speedo-clad men shivering their way off our gloomy windy beaches.

Then it happened, a few days ago I awoke to sunshine pouring through the blinds at 8am. Summer has arrived and its here to stay. Its not the suedo-summer experience. It’s the real thing. It’s the sweltering let-me-melt-you-now, leave-your-windows-open-all-day, ice-cream-dripping, hot, beautiful, wonderful summer, and I’m thrilled!


Today I decided to celebrate the gorgeous weather, so when I woke up I went down to the ocean and soaked in the rays while doing yoga poses. The second item on my summer list was a beautiful much needed pedicure. In the afternoon, feeling a little hot and lethargic, I passed on having a soda and decided to come up with a summery but healthy concoction. I created a deliciously simple (or simply delicious) mint basil smoothie. I’m a big strawberry smoothie fan but I wanted to try something a little different. This is easy to make, extremely refreshing, and very healthy. Just mix in some mint and basil with plain yogurt and a little milk, add some sugar syrup, squeeze in a little lemon juice, and mix it up in the blender with some ice. The minty frothy tangy drink is perfect for any hot day. I’m sipping it now while writing this and raising my glass to you. Lets toast to the beginning of summer. Cheers :)

Recipe for Mint Basil Smoothie

(Makes 1)

Ingredients

1 cup non-fat or full-fat yogurt

1/2 cup of milk

1/2 cup sugar syrup

1/2 of a large lemon

1/4 cup basil (handful - add more if not strong enough)

1/4 cup mint (handful)

4 or 5 ice cubes

Directions

First make sugar syrup by adding 1/4 cup sugar to 1 cup of water and bringing it to a low boil for 5-7 mins until the sugar has completely dissolved.

Put the yogurt, basil, mint, milk, and lemon juice in a blender and then pulse. Add the ice. Finally add the sugar syrup a little at a time until you have the sweetness you desire

Serve with a sprig of mint and enjoy.






No comments:

Post a Comment