Thursday, March 24, 2011

Spring Strawberry Spinach Salad




Now how's that for a tongue twister. Try saying it ten times fast.

Luckily its a little easier to make than it is to say...

I tried this salad almost a year ago when my sister was in town visiting. I really didn't think I would like it because strawberries and salad seemed like a weird combination. After much coaxing, I finally did, and to my surprise, I loved it! So much so, that when I lived in San Diego it became part of my lunch staple where the strawberries are seriously in a league of their own.

Chopping up strawberries, adding them to a bowl of baby spinach, tossing it all with a balsamic vinegarette, and then topping it with toasted pine nuts takes literally all of five minutes and makes for a delectable combination. The best part is that it's healthy, low in calories, and the perfect dish to make in spring.

Note that I've named this the Spring Strawberry Spinach Salad. Spring has supposedly begun but with the snow thats hit NY for the past two days we still haven't given up our winter coats. I'm hoping by including some light fresh spring recipes I'll be able to encourage the good weather to move in quickly. We're all a bit tired of heavy winter foods and ready to trade in the winter squash for flavorful strawberries, cherries, and apricots!

Try it out. It'll brighten up your day even if the weather refuses to do so....

Recipe for Strawberry Spinach Salad

Serves 2

Ingredients
1 pack of strawberries (about 15-20 strawberries)
1 pack or 3 cups of baby spinach
1/4 cup toasted pine nuts

Dressing
3 tbsp olive oil
1.5 tbsp balsamic vinegar
salt
pepper

Directions
Pour baby spinach into a salad bowl. Dice each strawberry in half and add to the spinach. Mix together the olive oil and balsamic vinegar in a separate bowl and add a pinch of salt and pepper. Mix in the dressing and then add the toasted pine nuts last for a bit of crunch.

3 comments:

  1. Adding blue cheese or goat cheese is also DELICIOUS!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This recipe sounds delicious, I'm going to try it on some friends coming over this weekend.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Its really good! Let me know if they like it.

    ReplyDelete