Monday, May 21, 2012

Herb Roast Chicken



In the past few months I've been to Pakistan, packed up my NY apartment within weeks, moved to San Francisco, found an apartment in this ridiculously difficult market, bought furniture, and at long last moved and settled in - all a list of excuses for my hiatus from my food blog.  The cooking has continued even if the writing hasn't been as frequent and now I'm finally back with some new recipes!

Summer is fast approaching and people are looking to light, healthy, and simple dishes where they can enjoy the weather outside without having to spend too much time in the kitchen.  Roast chicken is a classic and is a great warm weather meal.  It was always a staple growing up and reminds me of countless lunches and dinners my family has spent around the table.  It also reminds me of childhood vacations in France where we would take long road trips, stop off at farmers markets, buy baguette, creamy cheeses, and a fresh rotisserie chicken, spread out our blanket, and devour it all in whatever beautiful setting we happened to be in.

Thinking it was fairly complicated, I never attempted the dish until recently, when I realized that it couldn't be simpler.  I bought a whole chicken from the supermarket,  already cleaned, with gizzards conveniently wrapped in a little packet that could easily be thrown away.  I salted it generously on both sides and melted two tbsp of butter which I massaged into the skin along with some dried herbs.  I then stuffed a whole onion with a few wedges of lemon (and herbs like rosemary are optional) into the cavity and tied the legs together with a string, and within 10 minutes I was done.  I like to have roast chicken with potatoes so I also pealed 6 potatoes and put them in the same pan as the chicken.  I put it in the oven for about an hour at 425 F and it came out moist on the inside, crispy and brown on the outside, and proved to be a completely satisfying and comforting meal to eat for dinner.  Carrot soup for starter followed by roast chicken and potatoes is now a regular feature on our dinner table.

Recipe


2-3 lb whole chicken (already cleaned)
1 small onion
1 lemon
1 sprig of rosemary (optional)
Dried herbs (rosemary, basil or whatever you feel like)
2 tbsp of butter
String for tying chicken legs
6 potatoes
Little flour for gravy

Directions


Preheat the oven to 425 F.


Rinse out the whole chicken and throw away the pack of gizzards.   Pat it dry and then salt generously.

Rub 2 tbsp of melted butter all over the outside and then sprinkle with dry herbs.

Stuff the cavity with a small onion and a few wedges of lemon along with a sprig of rosemary

Tie the legs together with a string

Peel 6 potatoes and put them in the same pot as the chicken

Put in the oven for about an hour and check to see if it is done.  If it still seems raw then leave it in for longer.

For Gravy


Take the chicken and potatoes out in a serving dish.

Scrape all the juices and remnants from the pan, add some water, and put it in a small pot on high heat.

Add a sprinkle of flour a little at a time while constantly whisking until it thickens.

Add more water until you have the amount and consistency you desire for the gravy.  Remember to keep whisking when adding flour so lumps do not form.


2 comments:

  1. A very good recipe to try in the hot,humid Karachi summer.Thanks Hina will definitely ask Farah to make it or will venture myself.
    Much love and Allah bless you both.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I hope you enjoy it! Let me know how it turns out.
    Hope you're doing well.

    ReplyDelete