Monday, August 23, 2010

Red Velvet Cupcakes



The cupcake saga began when I was living in DC. Up until I moved there, I had never been much of a cupcake eater, except for the occasional one here and there, at someone's birthday or farewell party.

Everyday, after having worked out at my office gym, I would head home feeling very proud of myself at having burned a few hundred calories. Unfortunately on the way, I would pass a cute little shop called "Hello Cupcake," and found that I had absolutely no willpower when it came to resisting their 'Vanilla Gorillas'; a moist banana cupcake with a delicious vanilla butter frosting.

To make matters worse, a few months into my stay, I found an even better cupcake shop called the "Red Velvet Cupcakery." They have a variety of different cupcakes but the only ones that I've tried are their Red Velvet ones. They are absolutely FANTASTIC! The cupcakes are so moist that they melt in your mouth and the cream cheese frosting, with just the right amount of sweetness and perfectly smooth texture, had me licking my fingers and scraping every last bit off the cupcake wrappers. If you're ever in DC, please please please make a trip there. You will not be disappointed.

After moving to San Diego, I've been searching far and wide for the perfect Red Velvet cupcake with no success. None have even come close to replicating the velvety texture and vibrant flavor of the ones in DC. I decided to take things into my own hands and made a dozen Red Velvet cupcakes from a recipe I found online. They are delicious and far superior to any that I've had here.

I can't stop eating them. It's like biting into a moist velvety sweet frosty piece of heaven.....



Red Velvet Cupcake Recipe by Paula Dean (I've adjusted a few of the quantities but its essentially the same)

Makes 10-12 cupcakes

Ingredients

  • 1 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
  • 3/4 cups sugar
  • 1 teaspoon baking soda
  • 1/2 teaspoon salt
  • 3 teaspoon cocoa powder
  • 1/2 cup vegetable oil
  • 1/2 cup buttermilk, room temperature
  • 1 large egg, room temperature
  • 1 tablespoon red food coloring
  • 1/2 teaspoon white distilled vinegar
  • 1 teaspoon vanilla extract


For the Cream Cheese Frosting:

  • 4 oz cream cheese, softened
  • 1/2 sticks butter, softened
  • 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
  • 1 cup sifted confectioners' sugar
  • Chopped pecans and fresh raspberries or strawberries, for garnish

Directions

Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F. Line 2 (12-cup) muffin pans with cupcake papers.

In a medium mixing bowl, sift together the flour, sugar, baking soda, salt, and cocoa powder. In a large bowl gently beat together the oil, buttermilk, eggs, food coloring, vinegar, and vanilla with a handheld electric mixer. Add the sifted dry ingredients to the wet and mix until smooth and thoroughly combined.

Divide the batter evenly among the cupcake tins about 2/3 filled. Bake in oven for about 20 to 22 minutes, turning the pans once, half way through. Test the cupcakes with a toothpick for doneness. Remove from oven and cool completely before frosting.

For the Cream Cheese Frosting:

In a large mixing bowl, beat the cream cheese, butter and vanilla together until smooth. Add the sugar and on low speed, beat until incorporated. Increase the speed to high and mix until very light and fluffy.

Garnish with chopped pecans and a fresh raspberry or strawberry.

Cook's Note: Frost the cupcakes with a butter knife or pipe it on with a big star tip.

3 comments:

  1. mmm. Red velvet are my favorite. how did you make them without loading them up with butter, the way Paula Dean does it? Are they still as tasty?

    ReplyDelete
  2. btw, heavenly cupcakes in san diego is pretty good.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I used much less oil than she had in the recipe and they were delicious and a lot more healthy than Paula Dean's!

    Heavenly cupcakes is pretty good, but these ones are even better! :)

    ReplyDelete