Wednesday, August 18, 2010

Watermelon and Goat Cheese Salad



As the days are become sunnier, I've been eating more and more yogurts, melons, ice creams, and all other things cool and refreshing. A few weeks ago, after spending the day walking around in the sun, soaking up its rays, and getting a fabulous tan, I was feeling a little dehydrated and lethargic by the time I returned home that evening.

I scoured the fridge, and all that I had left over from my farmer's box ,was a measly lonesome watermelon. I cut into it, and to my surprise, found its bright yellow juicy flesh staring up at me rather than the pleasing pinkish hue that I was expecting. Perhaps everyone else in the world knows this except for me, but in my world, the only watermelons in existence are pink. At first, I thought it was a case of mistaken identity, but when I gingerly picked up a piece and bit into it, I found that it was infact a nice juicy cool refreshing piece of YELLOW watermelon.

I cut it into pieces and looked for some cheese to go with it. Feta cheese and watermelon salads are fairly common but the only cheese in my fridge was an enticingly creamy chunk of goat cheese. I decided to give it a try and topped the salad with a sprinkling of fresh mint and citrus dressing. It all came together very well. The sweet watermelon balanced out the tartness of the goat cheese and the freshness from the mint enhanced the overall flavor. This is a great snack on a warm day and takes about five minutes to put together.


Goat Cheese and Watermelon Salad Recipe

1 Watermelon
8 0z of Goat cheese
A few sprigs of fresh mint chopped

Dressing
Juice from 1 orange (1/4 cup)
Juice from 2 lemons (1/4 cup)
1 tbsp of honey
Pinch of salt
Pinch of pepper
1/4 cup of olive oil

Directions
Whisk together orange and lemon juice with the honey, salt, and pepper. Slowly pour in the olive oil and continue whisking until it has been incorporated into the mixture. Slice the watermelon and cheese and place them in a bowl. Finely chop the fresh mint and add it along with the dressing to the salad. The results are refreshing and flavorful.


No comments:

Post a Comment