Saturday, November 13, 2010

Nutella Hot Chocolate


Ok this is so embarrassingly simple that it doesn't even qualify as a recipe but its so decadent, chocolaty, and blissfully warming during the cool winter evenings that I thought I should share.

Nutella hot chocolate is my latest obsession. I've had some really terrific hot chocolates through the years including one in Paris which felt like it was eighty percent melted rich chocolate with a touch of milk for effect. It was out of this world but I could barely move after having downed it; it was basically a chocolate meal in a mug. Another great one (which they no longer serve) is the "Signature Hot Chocolate" at Starbucks. I enjoy it because of the unexpected hint of salt that brings out the rich chocolate flavor. Salt and chocolate might sound weird but trust me once you've had it there's no going back.

Nutella hot chocolate probably doesn't give rise to thoughts of diets and such but I actually have been trying to be a bit more healthy in general and I'm trying to cut out a lot of the junky sweet things I consume during the day minus the buttermilk pancakes I had for brunch today (oops!). I still need something sweet after dinner though to feel completely satisfied so this is my fix.

One night, I was craving hot chocolate but we had no cocoa in the house so I decided to use what was on hand. I added a tablespoon of Nutella to a pan on medium heat and then slowly added a bit of milk stirring constantly. Once it was fully dissolved I added the rest and turned the heat up until the milk was steaming. The result was delicious. The chocolate and hazelnut flavor are really rich and complement each other really well satisfying the cravings of even the biggest sweet tooth. If you're counting calories its about equivalent to having a chocolate bar but about a hundred times more satisfying.

Wrap your hands tightly around that steaming mug of hot chocolate. The best thing is that it just took minutes to make. Here's the recipe.

Ingredients

1 tbsp Nutella

1 milk skim milk (or whole milk if you prefer)

Directions:

Put the stove on medium heat and spoon the Nutella into the pan. Mix in a little bit of milk and stir until most of the chocolate is dissolved. Add the rest a little at a time stirring constantly and then cover and turn the heat up. When the milk is steaming pour it into a cup and sprinkle with a few mini marshmallows if you desire.

2 comments:

  1. What a great idea! I'm going to be sure to try it this winter.

    ReplyDelete
  2. If you like chocolate you'll definitely enjoy this!

    ReplyDelete