Saturday, November 20, 2010

Yam Fries



I had never eaten sweet potatoes until I tried the delicious sweet potato fries at the restaurant, Urban Solace. It came as a side to a delicious juicy burger, but once I bit into those slightly sweet, slender crispy fries, I almost forgot about the main course. The only reason that I can come up with to explain why these amazing fries have escaped me all these years, is that I haven't been exposed to much Southern cuisine. I really have been missing out! I also haven't partaken in many traditional Thanksgiving meals where I've heard sweet potatoes are usually found in abundance and for some are a necessary part of the meal.

Another common side found during Thanksgiving meals are yams. Yet another vegetable that I haven't been exposed to. Along with winter squash they are currently lining most of the stalls at my local farmer's market. Its exterior resembles those of ordinary potatoes but beneath its rough skin lurks a surprisingly cheerful orange vegetable.

I had heard that yams are both similar in taste as well as color to sweet potatoes. So, reminiscent of those delicious fries I had at Urban Solace, I decided to make Yam fries. I cut them into wedges rather than thin fries to make things easier. After seasoning them with some salt, pepper, paprika, garlic powder, and olive oil, I put them in the oven to bake for about 35-40 mins. (See below)


They came out slightly crisp on the outside and soft and dense on the inside. They tasted as good as the sweet potato fries that inspired them; vibrant orange wedges, slightly sweet, and perfectly crisped. I dipped them in ketchup and it made for a great side to our dinner. They were much healthier than real fries (as there was no frying involved), and best of all, they tasted just as good.


Recipe for Yam Fries (Serves 4)

Ingredients:
2 Yams
Salt
Pepper
Garlic Powder
1 tsp paprika
2 tbsp olive oil

Directions

Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F. Line a baking tray with foil and spray with cooking oil.

Peel the yams and then cut into thin wedges. Sprinkle them generously with salt, pepper, paprika and garlic powder and add the olive oil. Mix it all together and then lay it out on the baking sheet. Bake for about 35-40 mins. If you prefer it crispier broil it for the last minute or two but keep a close eye on it because it can burn easily.

1 comment: